Stage 2 of Circle Line (between Marymount and Bartley) is opening in 28th May 2009. Stations that are open are Bartley, Serangoon, Lor Chuan, Bishan and Marymount.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Holidays coming

It has been almost a month since I have updated my blog. My computer has been spoilt for two weeks and this is one of the reasons of why I have not been updating my blog for a month.

My term 2 common tests have already been over and the results in my opinion are fairly poor although I have some improvement in my general paper. Phew! What a relief. This implies that environment is really my niche topic in the gp essay as the teacher commented that the points in the essay are quite well supported.

Let me write in my blog about the problem of my computer. This time, the problem that I have initially faced when I switched on my computer is that one of the system files is corrupted and therefore, the windows cannot be loaded properly. Thus, I can only load the windows in safe mode. I attempt to load the windows using normal mode but my efforts are futile. Next, I try to reformat my hard disk and install windows in my harddisk so as to refresh the whole thing and to reinstall the corrupted file using my two recovery disks. However, at about 72% of the whole recovery process, a message comes out and says that the disk in drive N is not correct. The drive N here I think refers to the cd rom drive. I try to change the recovery disk 1 to recovery disk 2 but the message still pops out. I have no choice but to cancel the whole process. After cancelling the whole process and restarting the computer, a message comes out and says that the operating system is not found and press any keys to try again. I try of course and still that message comes out.
I ask my uncle about this excerbating problem and he commented that the harddisk of my computer is corrupted. In other words, the computer is spoilt and I have to buy a new one. Then, my uncle lists down the available choices that I have when buying computer. First, I can buy the whole computer package at around 900 dollars including the CPU, monitor, mouse, keyboard. Second, I can buy only the CPU at around 600 dollars but at a better performance. I choose the second choice since my monitor and the keyboard and the mouse are still working. So I went with my uncle to buy a CPU on Saturday 21st of May 2005 at Sim Lim Square. I bought the CPU at around $665. I felt that the price is quite worth it for 384 RAM and 80 Gb harddisk space. The computer processing speed is 2.4 GHz which is already not bad. However, there is no floppy drive and so I have to install the floppy drive by myself from the old computer to this new one.
I spend the whole day 24 hours just to install the hardware and the software into this new computer. It was a tiring task and it was only me to be blamed for not taking care of my computer properly. Once bitten, twice shy. I know now and taste the consequences of not protecting my computer well enough. The process is really tiring. On Saturday and Monday, I spend about 24 hours in total to settle with my computer. After going out with my uncle to Sim Lim Square, I learned quite a lot from him. Besides, he also treated me to a meal. That is quite nice of him. I attempt to learn more about computers as much as I can from him so that I am able to repair my computer or to upgrade my computer by myself.
On Saturday, I went for college day. It was a rather boring event and the only thing that I do there is to clap my two hands to generate loud clapping sounds for the prize winners. I think that it is not easy to be a prize winners of the college day as it takes utmost efforts and that the person must be really hardworking to score good grades. For that Saturday, I arrived to school in a nick of time and luckily my uncle gave me a lift to Toa Payoh MRT Station. If I have chosen to board bus 851, I would have been late for college day. Ya, I remember something, for that day, I think that the choir performance is really cool. They make use of rhymes, stomping on the ground and trying to make background music to create the sense of atmosphere required for the song. They are really pro because they are not only just singing the song. I feel that the rhymes and the stomping of the feet on the floor and the making of music just coordinates well to form a masterpiece.
On Sunday, I went for the Big Walk. Wow. When I board bus 70 from my house to National Stadium, almost half of the passengers in the bus were also going for the Big Walk. For that event, my younger brother and I went to the Big Walk and I could say that walking 10 kilometres is certainly not an easy task. The route is from National Stadium to Esplanade Drive and back to National Stadium. My brother and I walked for about 75% of the 10 kilometres and ran for the remaining 25 %. The Big Walk event had a high turnout of nearly 50000 people. When the Big Walk event commenced, my brother and I waited for about 3 minutes until we really walked at our walking speed. My whole body felt refreshed after the walk and I was very satisfied with myself that I was able to complete a 10 km walk. After the walk, my feet had some blisters and mud as the ground there was muddy.
On that same day in the evening, I went to the Esplanade to watch the band and co concert. The concert is quite successful and I feel that the music played by the band and the co is really good. One can see that the band and the co have practised really hard for this concert. Besides, what is impressive is one of the performances by the co where one student from 03/04 performed solo. The thing that impressed me is that he didn't read scripts when he was playing with his musical instrument. Furhtermore, on that day, I witnessed how people dressed themselves up to watch a show in the esplanade. Some of them dressed formally with nice clothes and pants and dresses. It was a fashion show to me on that day.

Service 168 is now one of my most frequent boarded service. It plies from Bedok to Woodlands via Tampines. The reason is that it is now fast to take this service to Woodlands rather than taking MRT. The time required to reach Woodlands from my house is around 30 - 40 minutes depending on the waiting times of the buses.

The End

No comments: