Stage 2 of Circle Line (between Marymount and Bartley) is opening in 28th May 2009. Stations that are open are Bartley, Serangoon, Lor Chuan, Bishan and Marymount.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Reflection of the Second Service Learning Project

Basically, I feel that the discussion on the second day of second Service Learning Project strikes and impacts me the most. This is due to the fact that the discussion about certain things such as the debrief, about the kids feeling distracted during the debrief, about how many of us feel irritated during the debrief when the kids are not listening to us are frank. People like Alvin just expresses their views sincerely without leaving any things behind in his minds. The points raised in this discussion are good. The discussion benefited me by a lot because I am aware of what people may think and surprisingly, many of us have the same thinking about the second SLP, about it being not as interesting as the first SLP. Although I am not very involved in this SLP in June 2005 due to chess competitions, I have felt that the reflection today is very enriching or perhaps even more fruitful than any other reflections. I have learnt a lot from people such as Alvin and Diana as they share their vast experience and knowledge with us as a class 28/04. In my mind, I also feel the urge to share my experience and I guess many of us also share similar feelings and are eager to share but is stemmed by a word called "fear". The fear of offending other people and imposing your thinking onto others stems me from speaking up. I always feel that everyone has the freedom to do something and by imposing them through your views and the rules that you have set, you are like restricing the amount of freedom that they should have.
The next factor that stems me from speaking my mind is the lack of courage. The issue in the discussion is quite controversial and nothing is absolutely right. It is a matter of whether the argument is convincing. For me, I come from a simple background, only know about the improtance of saving. Money to us is very important because our household income is not very high. Thus, we have scrimp and save whenever we can. I understand and hence I do not request for a handphone even til now in year 2005. So, I am one of the "rare" species of people that does not own handphones at all. Only about 10 % of Singaporeans do not own handphones at all. Besides, my hobby that I have and the experiences that I have is absolutely unique. Itr is true that everyone's experiences are unique and special but for me, my experience that I have is absolutely unthinkable. I read Transitlink Bus Guides since I was in Primary 3 and I like fiddling with the pens, imaging that I was a bus captain, driving a bus to the destination. I fear that my classmates are not interested by my experience.
I think that I cannot overcome fear. The feeling of fear is very strong. This is evident when I was in Raffles Cup Chess Competition. I lose two rounds due to mycarelessness and partially due to fear. I try very hard to control the fear and stop myself from being pessimistic but in my mind, the images of losing keep flashing. The fear within me has disrupted my thinking and my common sense. What should I do to overcome fear?

No comments: